I have decided to purchase 3 exercise mats to use for my setup. Similar to how you mentioned in one of your videos that you did when you were starting out. My question is how did you use the Velcro? I've thought of a few ways to do this but could use a little assistance! Thanks! Anyone else who has any tips is welcome to reply as well!
Here is what I did:
- I cut a 6 inch adhesive velcro strip.
- Then I separated the male and female parts of the velcro.
- Then I cut the female strip in half and attached it to the underside edge of two exercise mats so that the mats, when lying next to each other, would come together at the velcro strips.
- Next I placed the male velcro strip across the two mats and on top of the two halves of the female strips. This holds the two mats together
- I repeated the same process on altogether 4 spots on the mats to hold the mats together really well.
- When I wanted to take the mats with me for house calls, all I had to do was quickly remove the full length male strips from the separated female strips and roll up my mats. To join them again takes half a minute.
January 11, 2017
Hope, you will find some tips about mats in this video:
I bought three 1/2 inch thick yoga mats from Amazon. I put adhesive industrial strength velcro along both long sides of the middle mat (the firmer/male velcro). I put the softer side of the velcro along the length of one side of the other two mats. I had to cut these pieces to fit exactly.
I tried separating each mat and rolling them up like a regular yoga mat, but the middle mat velcro would start coming off because the male velcro is less pliable/flexible. So I am trying to leave them all connected and rolling them up from the long side so the velcro stays long and straight.
My partner is 5'11 and fits comfortably lying diagonal. There is plenty of space for me to move around. We work on a tile floor and I find it very comfortable for my knees.
Throw a sheet over the whole thing and you are good to go.
Shama's method seems less complicated! I wish I would have thought of it.
Can you draw a diagram to show me how you put velcro? I don't quite understand what you mean. I found an exercise mat (3x6 with 2-inch thickness). I can buy 2 and put them together. https://www.dickssportinggoods.....;gclsrc=ds
- You need velcro strips that are sticky on both sides, the male and the female side.
- Then you cut about an 8-inch strip of the velcro. Now you pull the male and the female side apart. Next you cut one of the strips, it doesn't matter if it is the male or the female side, in half. Now you have two 4-inch strips of - let's say - male velcro and one 8-inch strip of female velcro.
- Now you place your two exercise mats next to each other how you would use them in a session. Then you peel off the plastic protector from the two 4-inch strips and press them on the two mats perpendicular to the mat. The result is that the two 4-inch strips meet in the spot where the two mats meet. It looks like one 8-inch strip that connects the two mats, but it is cut in half. At this point you can still pull the two mats apart.
- Now you take the 8-inch strip of female velcro (without taking the plastic protector off it) and place it across the two 4-inch strips. The result is that the two mats are now firmly connected in this place. You can repeat this entire process in 3 or 4 spots along the mats. When you have secured the connection in all these places, you turn the entire mat around so that you can't feel the velcro which is now on the underside of the mat.
- If you want to disassemble the mats, you turn them around and pull off all the 8-inch velcro strips from the 4-inch strips. Now you have two mats with all these 4-inch velcro strips, but with nothing to connect them. And if you want to assemble your setup again, you just place the 8-inch strips across the 4-inch ones again.