January 8, 2017
Module 1 - Shoulder traction
Hello Shama! Happy to be back and to start the head massage course. I have some basic, but definitely need to learn with the proper techniques. I really like the new online training module!
Thank you for the props - indeed, before I was using a soft pillow and it was not really convenient. For the oil, do you have anything to recommend - almond oil is fine I guess. I guess we should get oil without scent?
2. Shoulder traction
Feeling much comfortable to do this technique based what I learned before. My friend feel a nice release on the shoulder and the flow was nice. As you said, I need to practice on different size to be able to adjust the distance with my client.
**I haven't received the email to enrol to the certification program - I am not able to find the link on the forum!
Thanks as always,
Hi Sabrina, welcome to the Heavenly Head Massage certification program. You can find the link for the registration form in the certification section of your course manual.
Also please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our certification check list to make sure everything is organized correctly.
Almond oil is fine. Personally I prefer Jojoba oil because it has no scent, it never goes rancid, and it gets absorbed quickly so that the clients don't feel greasy around the neck.
January 8, 2017
Thanks Shama - all good for the enrollment certification program 🙂
Module 2 - Chest
Ummm so on this one I got very different feedbacks and quite interesting... Compared to the previous technique on the shoulder traction where ppl really feel some release, on this one they were a bit surprised.
Our technique is mainly on the bone, and for most of them (they are chinese so used to massage) it was the first time they experiment. I really tried to be gentle and follow the breath. It is a little bit tricky to find the good point between the sternum bone and the ribs..
They didn't say they like or not, they were just a bit surprised and say it is new feelings...
I am curious about few things about this technique. You have indicate in the document (very good by the way) that it can help for improving the breathing (especially those who got shallow breathing). Does it help to create more flexibility in the ribcage as well? I am a free diving instructor so I am quite interesting by all techniques which can also help to create more space.
Then I tried the rocking part - at this point of time using the heels of the palms in the middle of the chest is the winner :). They like the touch and the feeling on this one.
Regarding the thymus gland and the gentle taping - do you recommend a minimum time to tap to stimulate 10sec, 20 sec?
I know, the sternum thumb work is something quite unusual, both for the therapist and the client. It takes a while to get the feeling and the sensitivity to make it feel good.
About the flexibility in the rib cage - I would say if this is your goal, then there are other ways to accomplish this. There is a wonderful way of rocking the entire torso, including the rib cage. However this is more in the area of Thai Massage, and I teach this in my Thai Rocking Massage course.
To create more flexibility in the rib cage, you need to create a big movement in there. That's outside of the area that Heavenly Head Massage is designed for which is primarily from-the-neck-on-up work.
The chest work of Heavenly Head Massage has a relaxing, calming effect which is good for the thymus gland (immune system), the heart chakra, and the lungs. It can help with rib cage functioning if the client learns to breathe in a deeper and more relaxed way, but I would not use Heavenly Head Massage as my primary method for rib cage work.
Personally I really like the sternum tapping. I do it to myself for 1, 2 or even more minutes. I wouldn't do it that long on clients unless they really like it and express that. Around 20 seconds is probably a good time. That's for the entire sternum, not just the thymus gland.
January 8, 2017
Hi Shama, yes indeed - I try to incorporate the sternum tapping and most of my friends really like it.
Module 3 – Chest
Many techniques on those ones, I have tried all of them, but will select few to
1. Lean in & thumbs roll is quite nice. I just take some time at the beginning to position my thumbs properly and really use the body weight when I am leaning forward. I as it is a sensitive area, I really use the body weight, and my friend is feeling very relaxed.
2. When holding below the shoulder and massaging the pecs muscles - my friend got some tingles sensation at the beginning. But I need to improve my wrist movement to have a better flow.
3. Double hand circling is very nice. At the beginning it took me some time to feel comfortable. I have reviewed the video and I didn't put my hand properly. Sometimes a part of my arm is touching the face of my friend. The feeling she has is good, the rotation is ok, but for sure on this one I need to adjust a bit my position.
4. For the inverted V-shape - the feeling is good, moving with the breath and using the body weight. Again, I need to pay attention on my thumbs as they were going too much to the throat.
5. Same thing need more practice to move my thumb properly on the golf part above the acromion. But then it is quite smooth to more to the neck and then gently move back. I can definitely feel some points of tensions slowly getting more loose.
6. Both shoulder and alternating the weight from another to another one without releasing the pressure is quite nice as well.
Got some difficulty on the upper body twist. Body was a bit heavy. Not very very comfortable on this one.
I will focus and "master" more those techniques 1-6 as it is quite nice effect on the pecs major, and above the shoulder. Very nice as well when your friend is starting to fall asleep.
No specific question on this module, just need to be a bit more confident with the positioning of my hands and fingertips... will practice.
Heavenly Head Massage can sometimes be quite subtle, and it does take time to get the right feeling for the techniques. It's not going to happen on the first try, for sure. The good thing is that this is a totally unique system. Once you know it well, your clients will love you for it!
January 8, 2017
Module 4 - Neck 1
Dear Shama - sorry for the delay I was out of town with a restricted access to internet.
I would say this module is quite tricky and require a lot of practice.
As you have indicated the "wave" technique is complex. At the beginning it was difficult to synchronise properly the legs (feet position), position of the head. My friend just start to appreciate the technique (after few times :)) but the transition part is quite messy. I will practice again but I am less comfortable than the second part.
I really like the 2nd part - I am using it as part of the body massage and the four techniques felt quite good for my friend. Techniques are easier and got a better "touch" with my fingers.
I quite like the investigating knots part, and really try to feel the body and the tension of my friend. I would need to test it on different body type, but the rolling circling and alternation rotation were very nice.
I might focus on those techniques 🙂
January 8, 2017
Thanks Shama - yes, I am on training right now and I am lucky to be able to practice on many different person the body and I add slowly the techniques of the head massage.
Today, the wave was slightly better - I think I didn't dare to pull back too much the head but my friend encouraged me to do so and he was very happy.
Module 5 - Neck 2
1. The sliding of the head I have feeling quite confortable now - at the beginning I was using my index finger to slide on the neck - but 1 friend told me it was burning his skin. So now I am using more my hands and the feeling was better.
2. Lifting of the head was difficult at the beginning - same as the wave - I was not daring to lift the head up. Same I am working a lot with my friends on the proper lift to ensure they get the right feeling. I will need to work on this part - but at the end they really enjoy.
3. The turning of the head one side and on the other I am feeling comfortable - my friend are telling that my hands are confident not shaky and they got a nice support.
4. The squeeze/pull back neck & circle - was confortable, my friends like it - i think I can spend more time on this technique.
I think I need to buy jojoba oil - but can't find here.
It doesn't have to be Jojoba oil. This can be hard to find in Asia. Here in Thailand I found it in a health food store. You can also use coconut oil and put a few drops of nice smelling essential oil in it. However coconut oil leaves more of an oily residue, so it might be a good idea to keep a wet wash cloth handy to wipe the oil off the neck, if necessary.
January 8, 2017
ok thanks well noted - will check it out.
Module 6 - Neck 3
1. Big neck roll --> work in progress 🙂 I got some difficulty to get the right position of the fingers. I think not confortable or lack of confidence at this stage. I think not using enough my body movement so as to have a better flow.
2. I kind of be more confortable on the small neck roll. With yoga, I am more used to do some adjustments and work on the occipital ridge. my friend got a good feeling on this one ans really feel a nice pull back and get this part totally relaxed. Do you recommend a minimum time to do this one? (like the other one - a minimum 30 sec or repeat the movement at least 10 times?)
3. I quite like the 3rd move of the 3rd technique - when lifting the neck and slide up with alternating pressure. I think I will do a variation with the hair technique to start with something soft and then go on with the squeezing pressure it can be a nice transition.
4. For the rotation between index fingers - do you also do a gentle lift up with the index fingers when you repeat or this part stay fully stable and the up/down movement is done only with the right hand?
January 8, 2017
Thanks Shama - so repeating a movement nice and flow 3 to 4 times is a good pace.
Module 7 – Neck 4
Honestly it took me a while before going on this one, I have recently started and start to be more comfortable with the flow.
I got some issues to position properly the supporting hand and my hands is rotating instead of staying in the back of the head. but will practice again as my friends provide me very good feedback on this flow and feel very good sensation in the neck. I am feeling more and more comfortable using the body weight and rotate.
It is definitely one technique that I want to include in the massage.
Good to hear that you are feeling more comfortable with it all. The fact is that this course is much more involved than just a simple stroking of the body. It is a real art and does take time to learn. However it is a very unique skill that not many therapists possess, and not many clients have ever experienced. So in the end you will have something quite special!
January 8, 2017
Module 8 – Neck 5
Thanks! I am back to the massage now 🙂 I am repeating the techniques everyday to improve them a bit more, associated with the body massage.
On this module, the neck ondulation is quite nice especially after doing the movement with the arm support. So I will focus on this one. Currently, trying to get the best adjustment with my small hands to get a good and firm control of the head. (My current friends is a tall and strong man so it differs from my previous friend she was small and very light).
Not so comfortable with the alternative 8. I will put on hold for now and focus on the other techniques for the neck. I think you have provided a great choices of techniques already. Thank you!
The ending part is very nice.
Half-moon stroke is good - but better when the client is wearing round neck t-shirt, At the beginning, it is easier for me to see the collarbone and work directly above. Got some issues to position my thumbs properly.
No specific issue to massage the occipitale ridge and massaging. Just need to be more smooth with the flows of my fingers.
Transition to the earlobe and the massage is very nice and my friend really like it.
Indeed, it is important to keep a good communication so as to ensure especially at the beginning that the pressure is correct.
January 8, 2017
Module 9 – Ears
Indeed got a lot of very good feedback on ear massage, people are not so used and really like the feeling.
You have provided a lot of techniques - will focus on few of them 🙂
1. No specific issues on the massage of the earlobe with thumbs and index finger. It is nice, easy and I make a happy friend.
2. Regarding the pulling - I was going gently, but my friend asked me to really pull the ear on the side. I guess it depends the preference of everyone, and here communication is important.
3. Grabbing the full ear and rotate - here my friend asked me to put more energy in the movement, and more pressure.
4. Massaging behind the earlobe, all good easy technique
5. The scissors - same no problem easy and my friend like it
6. Cover the ear - technique that I am applying already in the REIKI. So no question regarding the hand position on this one 🙂
All these make a very nice combination for the ear already 🙂
January 8, 2017
Module 10 - Head 1
As my HHM buddy massage partner is a man, I was not able to experiment all the techniques.
In Asia, we are quite lucky to get some nice head massage at the hairdresser, so it is quite interesting to know some of them a bit better.
But so far,
1. Fingertips around the ear is providing very nice sensation. I am applying different point of pressure during the movement.
2. The rapid rubbing fingertips is quite nice as well. I am playing a bit with the speed to provide different sensation. This one has been validated by my friend.
3. Spending time on the side of the head with fingertips or shampoo is good. I have added very soft touch with the finger tips to brush slightly the head to provide as you indicate more sensation.
4. I don't feel comfortable, or my friend was not confortable on the double thumb crossing the midline. It was pulling the skin....So I tried to adjust the pressure keeping more pressure on the outstroke than the instroke...and make instroke very gentle. But this one was not very pleasant for him. Maybe because he got short hair??? Will try on someone else to check the feedback.
Thanks Shama for this nice head techniques, checking the second part 🙂