February 4, 2014
I have just completed Shama Kern's Thai Rocking Massage program that includes 11 modules of training, and I have several comments about the course:
1) First of all, I must mention the level of customer service I received from Shama from the day I signed up. I had a couple of technical issues and found it necessary to contact the Thai Massage Healing Academy. Generally within hours, I would get a response from Shama personally. I'm quite sure the time zones are very different between southwest Florida and Thailand, but Shama replied, without exception and with great timeliness, each time I have e-mailed with an issue or a comment. You won't find better or more courteous and helpful service.
2) Method of delivery – a brilliant idea to send the modules in "chunks", usually around 25 or 30 minutes or so of instruction in each chunk, delivered every other day. The information is not then overwhelming, and the incidence of actually practicing the moves included in each module is greatly increased because it is so manageable. Kudos on this delivery system.
3) Content – I would rate the content exceptional. I've been a practicing massage therapist for years, and have taken so many continuing education courses that focus on manipulating a specific muscle to obtain a repeatable result. No muscle functions in isolation from the others, and Thai Rocking Massage addresses this shortcoming with elegant simplicity. Yes, you may be working on a specific muscle or muscle group, but in the context of it being a part of the whole. I like Shama's approach in teaching, which places less emphasis on anatomical distinctions and more on how the moves affect the entire body.
4) The Energy Component – the longer I am in the body work field, the more importance I place on energy and touch. It's beautifully presented here.
5) Tips – the forums are an excellent depository of information from people who are actually learning and practicing the Thai Massage Healing system, and who generously share their experiences, their discoveries and helpful tips for those following in their footsteps. The forums inspire, motivate, and make me grateful to be part of a cooperative, sharing, and open community