The short answer is yes, Thai Healing Massage Academy’s students have been doing it for many years. We have hundreds of forum posts, emails and testimonials to back that claim up.
However, let’s qualify this a bit more and dig deeper into this subject by looking at the advantages and disadvantages of learning massage in live training courses compared to online study.
Live Massage Course Advantages
- You can get immediate feedback and corrections from the instructor
- You are part of a motivated group of students which generates enthusiasm
- You get to practice under supervision
- You get to practice on a variety of bodies
Live Massage Course Disadvantages
- Generally quite expensive
- Often involves travel to the course location
- You learn so much material in such a short period that it is very easy to forget it unless you practice immediately and regularly as soon as the course ends.
I have met many students who took a massage course and a few months or a year later cannot remember hardly anything they learned.
- You are pretty much stuck with the course once you are in it even if you find that it does not really work for you.
Online Massage Course Advantages
- The cost is much lower.
- There is a big convenience factor. You can learn massage at home whenever you want to and at your own pace.
- You own the videos as a permanent reference, and can always brush up on your skills. The forgetfulness factor is not an issue unlike in live courses.
- Reputable online massage schools will guarantee your satisfaction by allowing you to return the videos for a refund if it is not working for you. This is generally not an option with live courses.
- You don’t have to complete the material in a given time frame like in a live class. You can practice and follow the video lessons without time pressure at a pace that feels right to you.
- Create good learning habits. Unlike live intensive crash courses, video lessons enable you to make regular learning a natural part of your daily routine.
Online Massage Education Disadvantages
- You have to motivate and discipline yourself to actually work with the videos.
- There is no enthusiastic group energy like in live classes.
- Most homestudy courses do not offer much support, if any. (This is what sets Thai Healing Massage Academy’s courses apart from others. We provide unlimited, personal, direct support via email, forum and even phone contact)
- You cannot get instant and physical feedback from the instructor.
When is a live class your best option?
- If you have plenty of time and money and don’t mind traveling to course locations
- If you really enjoy or need the group energy in a massage school setting
- If you know you have a hard time disciplining yourself to actually follow a home study massage training program
- If you are totally new to healing arts and feel you really need a lot of physical help and interaction
When is an online massage course your best option?
- If you don’t want or cannot get away from home for days or weeks
- If there is no live training facility anywhere near you
- If you have a good practice partner and are self motivated enough to follow through with the video course
- If your funds are limited and you want maximum results for the least investment
- If you like to have videos as a permanent reference that you can refer to for years to come
- If you like the benefit of a risk free purchase where you can try out a massage study program or instructor, and only have to pay if it really works for you
- If you like to learn at your own pace and integrate your massage training with your daily life
- If you already have experience with massage and want to add more skills conveniently and in a cost effective way
What to watch out for in home study courses
- Is there a money back guarantee?
- Is there a support structure?
- Is it possible to contact the instructor?
- Is there a convenient way to communicate with the instructor like email, text messaging, skype or even telephone?
- Try sending a support email message with a question before you buy. Are you getting an answer? How long did it take? Was it helpful, courteous and personal or canned and automated?
- What is your feeling about the instructor? Do you know something about him or her? Can you see a teaching sample before you buy?
- Are you just getting a DVD with lots of material that you have to figure out yourself or is there an actual structured learning environment?
- Is there a way to contact other students who have taken the video training and find out if they liked it?
Now you know how to decide what is right for you, live massage classes or homestudy training. And you know what to look out for before investing in a video training course.
Features of Thai Healing Massage Academy’s online courses
- All courses come with a risk free money back guarantee
- You can get a series of free videos before you invest any money where you can observe the instructor
- The instructor can be reached via email, forum, skype or phone
- All inquiries are answered within one day in almost all cases
- Our courses are delivered gradually in order to prevent information overload and to facilitate a regular and structured learning environment
- Students are supported through one of the largest, most informative and interactive Thai Massage websites on the internet.
- Students have free access to lots of training material and ongoing educational content on the site.
- Students who participate in the forum can interact with each other.
- All students can advertise their services, courses or products for free on the forum of Thai Healing Massage Academy.
- All our training videos are highly detailed and easy to follow.
Tell me, how many online massage home study courses have you seen where you can pick up the pone and call the instructor?
How many courses provide a structure like in a real school, support, ongoing training, a forum community, and free advertising options?
How many massage courses let you purchase their programs 100 percent risk free?
You now have all the information to make an informed decision about learning massage through either live courses or through a video course.
I would love to see you join one of our courses and help you to expand your skills. I think you would really enjoy the experience.
Check out Thai Healing Massage Academy’s online course library.
The author, Shama Kern, is the founder and director of Thai Healing Massage Academy. He has been practicing and teaching Thai Massage for over 16 years and he is the creator of 20 Thai Massage online video training courses